Know the Signs of a Data Breach
To protect your clients and your tax practice, learn the tell-tale signs that your office may have experienced a data theft:
- Your clients' e-filed returns are rejected by the IRS or state tax agencies because someone else already filed a tax return with their SSN.
- Clients who haven't filed tax returns begin to receive taxpayer authentication letters from the IRS, such as the 5071C, 4883C and 5747C, to confirm a taxpayer's identity for a submitted tax return.
- Clients who haven't filed tax returns receive refunds.
- Clients receive tax transcripts that they didn't request.
- Clients unexpectedly receive an IRS notice that an IRS online services account was created in their names.
- Clients who created an IRS online services account receive an IRS notice that their account was accessed, or an IRS email saying their account is disabled.
for more warning signs of a data breach, plus security resources to safeguard your practice.