EDD Employment Status Tutorial
The EDD has created a six-lesson online tutorial
about classifying workers as either employees or independent contractors:
- Common misconceptions which often lead to misclassifying employees as independent contractors.
- Classification of workers and consequences associated with misclassifying workers.
- Common law - the right of control.
- Employee or independent contractor, and the common law test used to determine if a worker is an employee.
- Statutory laws affecting employment status - a worker may be an independent contractor under common law, but may be an employee under statute.
- Resources to properly classify workers.